permanent Residence based on canadian work experience

Canadian Experience Class

Canadian Experience Class Immigration Lawyer Canada Auxilium Law PC updated

The Canadian Experience Class (CEC)


The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is a popular immigration stream within the Express Entry system, designed for individuals who have gained skilled work experience in Canada. Here is an updated summary of the program, incorporating the latest changes, including the shift to the Training, Education, Experience, and Responsibilities (TEER) system in the National Occupational Classification (NOC).

Updated Overview of the Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

  • Work Experience Requirement: To qualify for the CEC, applicants need to have at least one year of skilled work experience in Canada in the last three years. This experience must be in occupations that fall under the TEER categories 0, 1, 2, or 3 of the NOC system. TEER 0 corresponds to managerial jobs, TEER 1 to professional jobs, and TEER 2 and 3 to technical jobs and skilled trades. 
  • Language Proficiency: Candidates must meet the required language levels for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing, and listening) necessary for their job. The required levels depend on the TEER category of the applicant’s work experience. For example, higher language proficiency levels are typically required for managerial and professional roles (TEER 0 and 1) compared to technical and skilled trade roles (TEER 2 and 3). 
  • Education: While there are no specific educational requirements to qualify for the CEC, having Canadian education or an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) for foreign education can enhance an applicant’s ranking in the Express Entry pool. Financial Requirement: Unlike the Federal Skilled Worker Program, there is no requirement to show settlement funds when applying under the CEC. 
  • Admissibility: As with all immigration programs, individuals must not be inadmissible to Canada for reasons such as security, criminality, or health. 
  • Application Process: Individuals contemplating applying for Permanent Residence in Canada under the CEC should ensure they meet all the eligibility criteria. 

Key Takeaways of the CEC

The CEC is tailored for those with Canadian work experience in skilled occupations. The shift to the TEER system in the NOC classification has updated the categories of eligible occupations. 

Language proficiency requirements vary based on the TEER category of the job. 

Educational achievements, while not mandatory, can improve an applicant’s Express Entry profile. 

There is no settlement funds requirements to apply under this program compared to the Federal Skilled worker Program.

For individuals considering the Canadian Experience Class pathway, it’s crucial to stay informed about the latest requirements and changes, such as the adoption of the TEER system in the NOC classification. 

Professional advice, such as through a paid consultation, can provide personalized guidance based on individual circumstances. 

Disclaimer: The information provided here is for general informational purposes and should not be considered as legal advice. 


Have questions? book a Paid consultation

Scroll to Top